Friday 10 March 2017

Improving the Living Standards in Sirigu: The International Service/SWOPA Partnership



As the fourth cohort of volunteers arrived, International Service and SWOPA (Sirigu Women’s organisation for Pottery and Art) continue their collective efforts to increase the incomes of women of Sirigu.

Bringing fresh and creative ideas to the project, the volunteers have been given the go-ahead from SWOPA’s founder Madame Kassise and the chief of Sirigu, Naaba Roland Akaura the third, and are now ready to put their ideas into making an impact.

Working alongside director Madame Bridget and the rest of the SWOPA staff, the new International Service team are fully committed to improving the incomes and the livelihoods of the women, their families and the community.

Women in Sirigu and the Upper East
Ghana has experienced a continuation of economic growth, however the rate of poverty reduction has substantially slowed within the last 10 years, keeping the northern region especially vulnerable to deprivation. According to the FAO (Food and Agricultural Organisation), the Upper East region, where Sirigu is situated, 64 percent of people are affected by extreme poverty.

Women, particularly in rural areas, face far greater difficulties in finding employment and generating income than men. In the Upper East, 22 percent of women are illiterate compared to 50 percent of men, and in labour employment women are typically paid five times less than men. These factors often limit to unpaid family work and low income self-employment activities.

The struggle of women earning an income had been recognised in Sirigu, and an organisation was created to foster greater financial stability for them and their families.

SWOPA and International Service
In order to support the women and preserve the traditional crafts of Sirigu, SWOPA was founded by Madame Kassise in 1997. Madame Kassise was inspired by her mother, a traditional potter who sold her work so that she could send her daughter to school and then on to university. SWOPA has since grown into a fundamental organisation to Sirigu, providing a place for members to sell their products and receive training to develop their skills.

In 2016, International Service had joined forces with SWOPA, and every cohort has since dedicated their time and efforts to support and develop the organisation. After adapting to the intense heat, the obscurer Ghanaian dishes and the petrifying long drop toilets, the team are fired-up and ready to get involved with the influx of work coming their way.


Meet the Volunteers


Now it’s about time to let the volunteers introduce themselves…
Name: Rachel
Position: UK Team Leader
Fun Fact: “I’m so short that none of the bikes in Sirigu fit me!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I’m hoping that with my time in Sirigu I see changes to SWOPA, aesthetically and deeper.”

Name: Mohammed (a.k.a General)
Position: In-Country Team Leader
Fun Fact: I’m loyal, responsible, active, loving, caring, sharing, kind-hearted, warm, accommodating, compassionate, tolerant, laid-back, filled with honesty, but my greatest quality is my modesty!”
Reason for joining International Service: “In this world we can only learn by practicing and I believe that this project will be a great learning ground for me”

Name: Ella
Position: UK Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I’m a peanut butter-holic, it gives me life. I can’t live without it!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I joined to make an impact and work with a youth organisation that empowers people.”

Name: Patience
Position: In-Country Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I have a crippling phobia of snakes. Even if I hear the word python I get terrified as if there was one in the room!”  
Reason for joining International Service: “I want to help others, but I also want to learn new skills, new cultures, and other people’s way of life.”

Name: Sasha
Position: UK Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I can’t look at one of the babies in my host home without him bursting into tears!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I want to make a difference to someone’s life and I’d also love having the opportunity to live with a family that has a totally different culture.”

Name: Mariam
Position: In-Country Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I’m addicted to playing Temple Run!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I have a passion for work, I want to improve upon my skills and I’d love to have an impact on the lives of the people within the community.”

Name: Hannah
Position: UK Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I have a progressive fear of long drops!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I feel that when you get out of your bubble and actually do something to help someone else it gives you a sense of pride and purpose.”

Name: Matilda
Position: In-Country Volunteer
Fun Fact: “My teammates call me ‘Princess’ because I’m so faaancy!”
Reason for joining International Service: I want to feel challenged, I also hope to change the community in the small way I can with great efforts.”

Name: Shardell
Position: UK Volunteer
Fun Fact: “I have a crazy irrational phobia of wrists, even looking at them makes me queasy!”
Reason for joining International Service: “I know my limitations as individual to have real impact, but if being part of something larger makes even the smallest bit of difference then I’m in.”


After familiarising themselves with the SWOPA staff, getting permission from the Chief, and integrating into daily life, the volunteers are eager to start making the vital changes needed to continue making a difference.

The people of Sirigu have welcomed the volunteers into their community, and in return they have every intention of improving their livelihoods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment